Quick update to my 68000 tablet - The PCB has arrived! Even though I knew the dimensions of it, it's a lot bigger than I was expecting.
Here is the empty board, which arrived earlier today. I have added some parts on, as you can see here:
So far, I have found several problems.
The CPU socket on the PCB is slightly too wide. However, I can easily bend the pins slightly out so that it still fits. Turns out that it is the right size, it just requires a socket to fit properly.
The barrel jack is backwards (facepalm). Also, the holes are slightly too small. This isn't a concern, because I wasn't really planning on using the barrel jack anyway. As a workaround, I could purchase a jack with slightly thinner leads, and mount it on the bottom of the board so that it would face the right way.
The on/off switch was the wrong form-factor, slightly. I expected this, as the original switch was out of stock. I had to bend the leads, but was able to get the new switch to fit.
I expected some problems to occur, and they're minor enough that it doesn't really affect anything. I am waiting for more parts to come from China. My campus just closed due to COVID-19, so I am unable to source parts from there. I was hoping to get some resistors so that I could do a basic test of the busses. At the moment, I don't have any way to drive the LEDs.
I've been testing the board as I add each component. Until I get some resistors, I will not be able to assemble more of the board.0 comments